Tips and Tricks
LOOKING AFTER YOUR KIT
You will have everything you need within your kit to produce a wonderful painting. Here are some handy tips about caring for your brushes and getting the best out of your kit.
- The acrylic paints used will dry quickly if left open for too long. Remember to close the paint pot lids after use to prevent the paint from drying out.
- Made a mistake? If you use the wrong colour, let it dry completely. You can then paint over the area with the right colour paint.
- Clean your paint brushes thoroughly before using a different colour. Wash your brushes at the end of the day with clean water so you can carry on using them the next day.
Some handy tips before you begin:
- Find a nicely lit area to start on your painting so you can see your work clearly.
- Make sure your surface is protected - a plastic table cloth or some newspaper will work well.
- Have a container of water close by to clean your brushes in between colors.
- Also, be sure to have a cloth or some paper towel to dry your brushes in between washes.
Next we can start the painting process…
CORRESPOND THE NUMBER WITH THE CORRECT COLOR
This seems like an obvious step, but when you’re painting the numbers matching to the correct colors, try to only paint areas with that color before moving on to the next part of the painting.
Let those areas dry before moving on to another color. Clean your brushes with the water in between, enough that no color runs onto a cloth or paper towel once washed. This will prevent any colors from mixing or bleeding into each other.
COVERING THE NUMBERS
It may take an extra layer of paint to cover the numbers completely but just be careful and take your time so you don’t end up using too much paint. Use the paper reference sheet to double check numbers that have been painted over already.
Another painting tip for your Masterpiece By Numbers Kit, is to start at the top and work your way down if you can, working on the smallest areas first, as this will help prevent smudging the paint with your hand.
SOME MORE PAINTING TIPS
- If you need to, use a magnifying glass to paint the smaller, trickier areas.
- If you’re a complete painting beginner, practice some brush strokes on a piece of paper to get used to how much or how little paint you will need on your brush. This will save you from going over any borders or putting on too much paint on your actual canvas.
- Don’t rush your painting, give plenty of drying time between colors and paint carefully to avoid mistakes. It will be worth it in the end!